Cal State Fair

A subforum for event planning and idea discussion.

Moderators: Helpers, Moderators

Catprowler

Cal State Fair

Unread post by Catprowler » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:28 pm

The California State Fair is fast approaching and I wanted to know if others would like to go have some fun at the fair and maybe even suit. I have left a question with the fair asking about suiting and hope to hear and answer Monday either way I would love to just have fun and hang out.
Prices are $10 per person if bought before 7/9 (ya I know that's only a couple of days) or $12 after that or at gate.
Parking is $10 per car but if some of you can get together now and plan on going the price for a family pack is $49.99 and that includes 4 general admissions and a parking pass which comps the price but you also get 4 carnival or 4 monorail rides. THAT is something I would love to see. Bunch of furries riding the Monorail!!

I can only assume they do allow suiters but I'm checking to make sure. They do allow coolers and outside food and drink with a few exceptions like NO GLASS OR ALUMINUM OR ALCOHOL.

So what is anyone's thought? We could try meeting at 6pm near the fountain on Friday the 17th? People could go earlier and meet up but I would assume for suiting and peoples jobs a 6pm time would be good.

http://www.castatefair.org/

Tickets
http://www.castatefair.org/buy-tickets- ... tate-fair/

Also I will buy a Family pack if even two people respond so I could have tickets too.
Last edited by Pounce! on Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged authors additional info toyethe

Pounce!
SacFur masCAT

Re: Cal State Fair

Unread post by Pounce! » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:50 pm

I think there is still a Costco deal for $30. (A Costco is nearby Cal Expo)
2 admission
1 parking pass
$10 food voucher

BTW, I always believe costumes are NEVER assumed OK outside of a furry environment. It'll be hot and nowhere to change.

What day will depend on programming and weather.
Is it safe?...Doubtful.

Catprowler

Unread post by Catprowler » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Well two weeks I've been trying to get a solid answer. From Facebook, Twitter, and email, to run around phone calls every other day or every day.

I've talked with fair, Calexpo PD, Admin, even Media departments and still I am having trouble getting a solid answer. The thing is they have Poppy (there own mascot) and have had Dingo and other mascots there too. (I have no clue who Dingo is.) The thing being no one seems to have a problem with it but no one will say yes.

I keep getting referred back to the CalexpoPD who have told me twice I need to speak with administration. I finally am speaking with Zee Cee (not sure if that is how it's spelled) in administration who is or is going to speak with PD again to give me a solid answer and again supposedly call me back before 5pm today.

Sadly though I don't really want to go anymore since my suit has arrived but I will have to send it right back. The body arms are confining to the point where I got the suit on but was seriously wondering if I could get it back off. The band inside the sleeves is so tight it sticks on my forearm. I really did have to struggle for over a minute to slip my first arm out and was half way off my arm when I considered trying to find a neighbor to help, ya I was thinking about it.

Either way I will post again maybe tomorrow if I finally get a reply. I.D.K. if people want to go, I suppose if several did I would be happy to just hang out and have fun but I truly wanted to see a group of suiters at the fair with me included. *disappointed*

Catprowler

Unread post by Catprowler » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:08 am

Alright here's an update.
ZeeCee has spoken and okayed everything with Calexpo PD and will be checking with the CEO tomorrow (Thursday) to make sure there is no problems. SO if all is good then yes a group can suit at the state fair on Friday.

I have decided to go if anyone else is going, especially suiters. Let me know please.

Zoren
who?

Unread post by Zoren » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:31 am

Catprowler wrote:Alright here's an update.
ZeeCee has spoken and okayed everything with Calexpo PD and will be checking with the CEO tomorrow (Thursday) to make sure there is no problems. SO if all is good then yes a group can suit at the state fair on Friday.

I have decided to go if anyone else is going, especially suiters. Let me know please.
As I also asked on Meetup, There's no way to possibly reschedule this for another day? Possibly sometime next week? I'd hate for all that effort you have done to go to waste. I could probably Fursuit Friday evening but due to work couldn't make it there until 7pm since I've already taken one early day this week and since I'm new at the job don't want to risk taking multiple in one week..

Catprowler

Unread post by Catprowler » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:41 pm

Cal State Fair does run through next week but the main days I have off are Thur. and Fri. otherwise Sat and Sun I can't be there until 7 to 8 myself. What day would be better, I would gain ask for the 24th Friday but since nothing is happening on the Meetup site and I would be there all day likely then. Ideas or suggestions would help.

tala toucan

Unread post by tala toucan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:21 pm

My mom and I will be able to come, is this meet still going to happen? ^--^
TOU-CAN DO IT!!

avitiger

Unread post by avitiger » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:30 pm

This would be cool to do if it is happening tonight. Was just talking to Avalon about how we should go check out the fair.

Catprowler

Unread post by Catprowler » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:17 pm

I'm sorry I am not there. It didn't seem like anyone was going and even though the Calexpo Police say that it wouldn't be a problem they still wanted confirmation from the CEO who has been actively busy the past two days and hasn't answered.

I believe they will let you suit if you wish and definitely you can go and hang out but I can't drive all that way without knowing people are coming and no one seemed to respond to either the idea or the date except Zoren. We can try for the 24th or some other day but I would need to know so I can plan.

Zoren
who?

Unread post by Zoren » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:55 pm

Sorry for going silent the last few days.. The 24th could work out nicely. If the temperature that day is reasonable I'll plan to partial suit in Azurin..

tala toucan

Unread post by tala toucan » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:33 am

Zoren wrote:Sorry for going silent the last few days.. The 24th could work out nicely. If the temperature that day is reasonable I'll plan to partial suit in Azurin..
The 24th sounds like a great day to do this!
TOU-CAN DO IT!!

Rennon

Unread post by Rennon » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:41 pm

I would be interested in the joining on the 24th.

Catprowler

Unread post by Catprowler » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:38 pm

Alright I'm still going on the 24th but sadly I still don't have final permission for fursuiters.

The police dept has no issues, admin seems fine, in fact everyone seems to be alright with it BUT none of them are willing to give a go ahead with out Rick Pickering's approval. The simple fact is he has been all over the fair and in meeting and doesn't answer phonecalls, messages, nor email during fair time evedentally. I was recently told he would likely make a decision AFTER the fair is over which of course doesn't help.

My last option I'm going to try is to leave early Friday morning and go to the Expo's admin offices and try to gain approval face to face if I can meet him.

I am still going, this is still the State Fair, it just would have been so much more fun if suiting was allowed. I hope to be at the water fountain around noon, 3, and 6. approx. I will check for emails and messages.. if you really want to get to me you can text to 707 349 0046. I will still be bringing water and there is nothing wrong with wearing ears so I might bring mine.

Note: We could still suit there isn't anything in the fair rules that says you can not. It's just always better to have permission and it would really suck to suit up then told to change. I still hope to speak with Rich and I figure next year will be much easier. In my search, contacts, and inquires I have someone from the entertainment dept. and the media department AND I was asked if I wish to attend Poppy's birthday party. (Poppy being the state fair mascot.) So I plan on seeing this event happen in full next year.

tala toucan

Unread post by tala toucan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:28 am

I'll suit if other people are suiting. And what do you mean by (3 and 6 approx)?
TOU-CAN DO IT!!

Catprowler

Unread post by Catprowler » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:46 pm

Well the final word from Rick Pickering is this:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding this item. As we’ve been very busy entertaining the more than 500,000 guests that have already visited the State Fair this summer, my apologies for not responding sooner.

While we appreciate that you view the California State Fair as a place that your group might enjoying fursuiting, we wish to make you fully aware of several key items. Since the State Fair is a family friendly environment, a number of safety procedures and related practices are deployed to help ensure the wellbeing of our guests. Given that several hundred thousand of our guests are children, & the fact that we operate Parimutuel wagering on Horse Racing, we are particularly vigilant about anyone who is seen as trying to conceal their identity. Consequently, we anticipate that law enforcement & racing officials will have significant concerns if individuals wear their masks in areas where children congregate or where horse racing is being conducted.

Given that we have more than 70 mechanical rides & attractions that have been specifically designed to safely accommodate traditional body sizes & traditional articles of clothing, we know that Butler Amusements carnival company & other attractions operators do not allow riders that are dressed in costumes, when such costumes may create a safety hazard for the rider, other riders, or the ride operators. This includes but Is not limited to flowing capes, long tails, items that may come off during the ride, items that impair ones vision, etc…

The State Fair has a number of areas that include large & small animals. For the welfare of these animals & the safety of our guests, it is imperative that these animals are not disturbed or frightened. Our Livestock Superintendent is concerned that these animals might become startled or frightened by fursuiting, as this is not a natural part of their environment.

With thousands of guests moving around the State Fair daily, it is paramount that suitors be aware that their masks may impair their vision to such a degree that they may not readily see small children, disabled persons, strollers, etc., moving below their field of vision. State Fair also has many above ground utility chases that might become a tripping issue for suitors that have a limited field of vision. Assistants or mascots might be able to help in this regard.

To further insure the integrity of the “State Fair show” & the safety of the public, the entertainers at the State Fair are subject to background checks that include Megan’s Law, as well as they are required to provide proper insurances & indemnifications, etc… Based upon the pictures that you attached to your email, it should be anticipated guests at the State Fair may believe that fursuitors are part of the official entertainment offering of the State Fair.

Being aware of the above restrictions & concerns, we hope that you & your group will be able to enjoy the State Fair.

With regard to possibly conducting a suiting event at Cal Expo, outside of the dates of the Annual State Fair, please contact Marcia Shell. Ms Shell is responsible for renting buildings & outdoor areas of Cal Expo throughout the year. She may be reached at 916-263-3000.

So then we have to note the mark near the end.... One could say this is a yes BUT the restrictions and concerns have to be addressed. I'm still going to head to the admin tomorrow morning and possibly the police dept to check. If no one comes that is fine and if someone comes and brings a suit that is good too. I was told by the police department already the worst that would happen at first was that the person would be asked to unsuit.