We hafta go camping! :D

A subforum for event planning and idea discussion.

Moderators: Helpers, Moderators

JustABigTeddyBear

Re: We hafta go camping! :D

Unread post by JustABigTeddyBear » Thu May 28, 2015 11:46 am

silvermosico wrote:
Pulsifer wrote:Throwing out some recs for campsite locations

The Malakoff diggins group site is available for the 1st week in August if that appeals to anyone.

For this to work, I think we'll need to figure out when where and how many people can go as quickly as possible, or we'll be waiting until next year. Also, it'd probably do us well to collect the camping fees from everyone or most everyone before the event date. Some campgrounds require you to pay ahead of time to make the reservation.
I'm free for camping for just about any time as long as I can find a body or two that may wanna carpool with me (outside of August 1-5th, that weekend I'm camping with family along the coast from Arcata all the way down 1 to Santa Cruz)

There's a couple things that may be discussed this evening that will help with figuring out numbers and collecting the money needed for camping :)
If we're going to a group spot and it's cheaper than bringing multiple cars, I could show up with a couple bucks for gas, my own gear, and my own tent. :D

Zoren
who?

Unread post by Zoren » Sat May 30, 2015 5:00 am

A aunt of mine recently visited and was mentioning a few good campsites she had found that, while in decent locations, are mostly overlooked..
One that sounded nice was the Liberty Glen Campground @ Lake Sonoma.

Located about 2h 15m from both Sacramento and the Bay Area the location has allot of availability.
$25/night for single (max 8 people 2 vehicles)
$50/night for double (max 16 people 4 vehicles)
$100/night for group (max 75 people 51 vehicles)

So pretty good rates, might be a consideration..

JustABigTeddyBear

Unread post by JustABigTeddyBear » Sat May 30, 2015 12:02 pm

Zoren wrote:A aunt of mine recently visited and was mentioning a few good campsites she had found that, while in decent locations, are mostly overlooked..
One that sounded nice was the Liberty Glen Campground @ Lake Sonoma.

Located about 2h 15m from both Sacramento and the Bay Area the location has allot of availability.
$25/night for single (max 8 people 2 vehicles)
$50/night for double (max 16 people 4 vehicles)
$100/night for group (max 75 people 51 vehicles)

So pretty good rates, might be a consideration..

That's cheap! :D

My little brother lives over there too! Let's plan for this place at least one weekend!

Rowdy

Unread post by Rowdy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:39 am

Sorry, I just now came across this post x.x
Camping sounds HERRA FUN! It'll be a good brush-er-uper for my outdated camping skills (former Boy Scout), and a chance to put my new kukri to the test! (It's for chopping wood of course)
I gotta check my availability once a date is established.
Family - Cars - Art - Music - Dance - Furries - Vape

Wolfstang

Unread post by Wolfstang » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:52 pm

I know I mentioned Scott's Flat last summer and nobody was interested haha! I love that place and have gone there for years, but sadly (like most everything these days) it's getting more and more inconsideate people camping there that make a lot of noise. Sad 'cause it's such an awesome place to go and not that far. Paved roads, and real bathrooms with hot showers!

I usually go 1-3 times a summer up there. I like the place too much to let the idiots ruin it for me. I just made resevations today for the weekend of Aug 14th thru 16th. I got one of the larger and more private sites farther up the hill from the lake, but those are actually the nicest ones I'd say. I may try to get another weekend reserved for July also in the next few days cause I'd really like to go more than once this summer.

So if anyone does want to share my spot let me know. A second car is only $10 for the weekend, but there is a limit on the amount of people that can use it. I would be driving up there about 5PM that Friday and coming home Sunday @ noon.
Life is easier to swallow covered in fur.

Sparky
Queen of the Zulus

Unread post by Sparky » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:14 am

Wolfstang wrote:I know I mentioned Scott's Flat last summer and nobody was interested haha!
Last summer we had just bought a house and I couldn't plan anything like that. 8:) I'm interested now though. What kind of things do you do when you go there? Do you go fishing at all? I want to learn to fish. 8:)

Wolfstang

Unread post by Wolfstang » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:09 pm

Sparky wrote:
Wolfstang wrote:I know I mentioned Scott's Flat last summer and nobody was interested haha!
Last summer we had just bought a house and I couldn't plan anything like that. 8:) I'm interested now though. What kind of things do you do when you go there? Do you go fishing at all? I want to learn to fish. 8:)
I don't fish so I couldn't really tell you how the fishing is up there Sparky. I've seen lots of others fishing though. I try to stay pretty active when I go up there. But I do like to be lazy also. It is my mini vaca after all. The area is pretty thick with large trees, but it still gets hot up there in the open areas. I do a lot of hiking and mountain biking mostly. There are some big hills to get up/down, but there is also some nice areas to ride or walk that are not. But pretty much figure you are ganna have to tackle one of them no matter what trail you take.

I'm not much of a swimmer, but they do have a very nice lake there with a beach for swimming at. But lots of people go off on their own. I have a 12ft kayak too, but I have yet to take it there since it's so heavy to carry on my own and it's only a single person kayak. But I might take it up there this summer. It's great for cruising lakes. There is a lower Scott's Flat lake too, but I have not been there for years. You can hike to it or drive to it I think.

There is a small marina and store on the other half of the camp ground that I often walk to (35 min walk +/-) to get ice cream at. Heck yeah I do!

JustABigTeddyBear

Unread post by JustABigTeddyBear » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:32 pm

Wolfstang wrote:I just made resevations today for the weekend of Aug 14th thru 16th. I got one of the larger and more private sites farther up the hill from the lake, but those are actually the nicest ones I'd say. I may try to get another weekend reserved for July also in the next few days cause I'd really like to go more than once this summer.

So if anyone does want to share my spot let me know. A second car is only $10 for the weekend, but there is a limit on the amount of people that can use it. I would be driving up there about 5PM that Friday and coming home Sunday @ noon.
That sounds like an awesome time! I wanna go!

That'll be my last weekend before school starts up again, too. Just hafta be ready for school Monday morning. :D

I'm gonna scout out a place just south of Jackson... friends wanna go there. They claim there's a place with a natural water slide and a rope swing! :O Also I'm gonna go shoot my shotgun. Hehe

Wolfstang

Unread post by Wolfstang » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:20 pm

I also just got a reservation for camping up at Scott's Flat towards the end of July if anyone wants to go up with me then. Didn't get as nice of a spot as I got for my August trip but I'm still jazzed about going camping again finally.

JustABigTeddyBear

Unread post by JustABigTeddyBear » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:01 pm

I'm not sure what I'm gonna have going this month.

I sent my 3d printer back, and it's got like a 2 week turn around. I should just go camp right now! Hehe.

My favorite shooting spot should have some shade. Might just go do that, post the meet info, and see if anyone wants to join.

Might do it next week during the week. :D Weekends are nice too, but don't wanna do 4th weekend...

Maia_Libre
Social Justice Druid

Unread post by Maia_Libre » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:01 am

I'm going up to Gerle Creek next month. Aww yee.
I stared into the void, but it never called me back.

JustABigTeddyBear

Unread post by JustABigTeddyBear » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:24 am

maia_chan wrote:I'm going up to Gerle Creek next month. Aww yee.
How far of a drive is that? What's it like up there?

Maia_Libre
Social Justice Druid

Unread post by Maia_Libre » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:58 am

It's out on Ice House, about 40 minutes in on the road. I don't know what it's like after King, but it was beautiful and crystal clear water last year, with a relatively low amount of people in the campground.
I stared into the void, but it never called me back.

Wolfstang

Unread post by Wolfstang » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:57 pm

Did get a spot at Scotts Flat for the weekend of July 24th through 26th. Honestly not sure how decent of a camp site I got haha, but I think it's OK. I did get a nice one for my August trip later this summer.

There's a limit on the amount of people (8) & vehicles (2) per site so I'm just ganna leave it at that. If you're interested in going, just let me know.

Hope everyone has a fun and safe summer and can get out and enjoy this awesome country we live in! Just watch out for the snakes!

Wolfstang

Unread post by Wolfstang » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:31 pm

Edit, See below.