We hafta go camping! :D

A subforum for event planning and idea discussion.

Moderators: Helpers, Moderators

JustABigTeddyBear

We hafta go camping! :D

Unread post by JustABigTeddyBear » Fri May 22, 2015 5:14 pm

One of these weekends, we hafta plan a camping trip! I totally need help rallying everyone. :D

The location is going to be pretty important.

Still trying to pick the place, and I would really love to have suggestions! I know my favorite shooting spot has a bunch of good places to go camping, and it's literally under an hour's drive from my house up highway 50. There's Jenkinson Lake off Sly Park Road right before my favorite shooting spot, which I should go scout. I dunno how much it costs to have a place to camp there, but I'm gonna go find out! :D The lake view is wonderful!

I was going to try to pick a spot relatively close, so everyone would be able to find it easily. We need there to be access without four wheel drive. Having a camp fire would be ideal, so we may have to book an actual spot or three.

Who else is up for camping?! :D Who else has areas in mind?

We could do multiple trips to different places, too!

Wolfstang

Re: We hafta go camping! :D

Unread post by Wolfstang » Fri May 22, 2015 6:39 pm

My name is Wolfstang, and I support this message! Heck yeah camping! Just as long as there's no snakes!
Life is easier to swallow covered in fur.

JustABigTeddyBear

Unread post by JustABigTeddyBear » Sat May 23, 2015 12:36 am

Oh, naw. Snakes are no problem. :D

Maia_Libre
Social Justice Druid

Unread post by Maia_Libre » Sat May 23, 2015 9:50 am

Sly Park is easy access but it's expensive ($26/night/car) and FILLED with tourists.

I suggest going down Mormon Emigrant down to 88 and see what campsites are out there, seeing as the King destroyed everything north of 50.
I stared into the void, but it never called me back.

JustABigTeddyBear

Unread post by JustABigTeddyBear » Sat May 23, 2015 9:11 pm

maia_chan wrote:Sly Park is easy access but it's expensive ($26/night/car) and FILLED with tourists.

I suggest going down Mormon Emigrant down to 88 and see what campsites are out there, seeing as the King destroyed everything north of 50.
All the way to 88 is pretty far.

My favorite spot is a right turn 3.5 miles up Mormon emigrant trail. There's one spot with a river that might work. No fires though, I don't think.

Lupaio90

Unread post by Lupaio90 » Sun May 24, 2015 11:36 am

Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes- Indy

I agree with wolfstang, as long as there's no snakes i am in :D, sounds fun

JustABigTeddyBear

Unread post by JustABigTeddyBear » Sun May 24, 2015 7:23 pm

Lupaio90 wrote:Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes- Indy

I agree with wolfstang, as long as there's no snakes i am in :D, sounds fun
Promise snakes will be no problem. I'll bring a shotgun in the extremely unlikely event we see one at all.

Pulsifer

Unread post by Pulsifer » Mon May 25, 2015 4:21 pm

I am totally down for camping! I need it! Preferably some place near a swimmin hole.

silvermosico
Agent #09095

Unread post by silvermosico » Tue May 26, 2015 1:48 pm

I'm totally ready for camping, and hauling camp equipment/people!

Bus is still a work in progress but it's a functional work in progress :3

some coin may be requested from passengers to feed the many tiny horses that push this wagon
Image I eat happiness

Wolfstang

Unread post by Wolfstang » Tue May 26, 2015 4:43 pm

silvermosico wrote:I'm totally ready for camping, and hauling camp equipment/people!

Bus is still a work in progress but it's a functional work in progress :3

some coin may be requested from passengers to feed the many tiny horses that push this wagon
Cool! I wanna see! Are those new from when I saw your van last? *looks behind Silver's VW* Where they at?
Life is easier to swallow covered in fur.

Rezsgar

Unread post by Rezsgar » Wed May 27, 2015 2:54 pm

Requires marshmallows, do it now!

silvermosico
Agent #09095

Unread post by silvermosico » Wed May 27, 2015 4:06 pm

Rezsgar wrote:Requires marshmallows, do it now!
I agree! x3
Image I eat happiness

Pulsifer

Unread post by Pulsifer » Thu May 28, 2015 10:24 am

Throwing out some recs for campsite locations:

http://scottsflatlake.net/ We've been before as group and I know I had a blast! Would love to go again if we can. We had the group site at the bottom of the second map, which was big and right up near the lake.

http://malakoffdiggins.org/camping-malakoff-diggins/ The Malakoff diggins group site is available for the 1st week in August if that appeals to anyone.

Both of those campgrounds are in Nevada County, Scotts Flatt is near Nevada City and Malakoff Diggins in pretty close to Grass Valley, both are pretty charming little towns with nice shopping. Both make an excellent day trip during the campout.

If we're able to go a little further away from Sacramento, I know some campgrounds in and around the Bay Area as well.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=542 New Brighton State Beach is located right outside of Santa Cruz. I've camped here before, and the facilities are nice, the beach is very cool, Santa Cruz is a fun Day Trip, THe Mystery Spot is nearby, plus I know a few Bay Area furs who would love to join us here.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=473 Clear Lake is gorgeous, but I've never been to any of the campsites there, so I can't attest to their quality.

http://goberryessa.com/services/marinacampground/ Lake Berryessa is closer than clearlake and gorgeous, but can get pretty pricey as a campsite, as they don't have a group site.

For this to work, I think we'll need to figure out when where and how many people can go as quickly as possible, or we'll be waiting until next year. Also, it'd probably do us well to collect the camping fees from everyone or most everyone before the event date. Some campgrounds require you to pay ahead of time to make the reservation.

JustABigTeddyBear

Unread post by JustABigTeddyBear » Thu May 28, 2015 10:54 am

I've never been to those first two places, but Alizar suggested a place in Washington (city) right near Malakoff diggins. He said he really liked that area.

I've driven past clear lake on the way to upper blue lake (that place was way too far away). Bit of a drive to get there, but yeah - beautiful place to be! If you don't have GPS and a car charger, I wouldn't suggest this though.

The beach sounds fun! And I'd like to meet some bay area furs, too!

Let's go to more than one place! :O

I'm heading up to a great spot in Kyburz the weekend after this one. I'll get a GPS mark and schedule another trip immediately.

I'm probably just gonna post up a week or so before when I'm gonna go camping for a night at a time at my favorite shooting spot. Anyone is welcome to join, and it's free!

Pick a weekend, make a meet! :D

silvermosico
Agent #09095

Unread post by silvermosico » Thu May 28, 2015 11:13 am

Pulsifer wrote:Throwing out some recs for campsite locations

The Malakoff diggins group site is available for the 1st week in August if that appeals to anyone.

For this to work, I think we'll need to figure out when where and how many people can go as quickly as possible, or we'll be waiting until next year. Also, it'd probably do us well to collect the camping fees from everyone or most everyone before the event date. Some campgrounds require you to pay ahead of time to make the reservation.
I'm free for camping for just about any time as long as I can find a body or two that may wanna carpool with me (outside of August 1-5th, that weekend I'm camping with family along the coast from Arcata all the way down 1 to Santa Cruz)

There's a couple things that may be discussed this evening that will help with figuring out numbers and collecting the money needed for camping :)
Image I eat happiness